1. You must be Born Again: There is only one requirement for one to be baptized with the Holy Spirit and that is to be saved. No other requirements are needed. Salvation now prepares one for the Holy Spirit to come and live and work in a new and dynamic fashion.
2. You must decide that it is Scriptural: You must settle it in your spirit once and for all that this great gift is for all Believers for all time. There must not be any doubt in your heart. Don't let Satan fill your mind with all kinds of negative thoughts. Don't let those who are not believers of the Spirit baptism influence you negatively.
3. You must have faith: Everything we receive from the Lord is always by faith. We are to believe what He has promised in His Word, and He has most certainly promised the Holy Spirit.
Hebrews 11:6 says, Without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them who diligently seek Him.
4. You must not fear: Don't be afraid of opening yourself up to the spirit world, fearing that something of Satan will come upon you. Luke 11:11-13 says: If a son ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? of if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit ot them who ask Him?
5. What to expect: You are to expect the Holy Spirit to put supernatural words (tongues) into your spirit, and then for the Holy Spirit to move upon your vocal organs. The Lord will not force you to speak in tongues. He will give yhe utterance, but we have to speak.
6. We must yield: By yielding I am meaning that in your heart you should say to the Lord, I am asking You Lord to fill me with the Holy Spirit and by faith I now receive. We are not to beg, for the infilling of the Holy Spirit is a free gift; neither are we to continually pray out loud in our own tongue because one cannot speak in two languages at once.
7. Receive: You must understand that God has already given the Spirit and that it is a gift and, consequently, the only thing one is to do respecting a gift is to receive it. So you must say, I am going to receive this gift of God.
So now if you have received, then go through these steps and by Faith receive.